This is a completely different approach to playing the Demon Hunter in hell difficulty than I have taken in my other guides. This is a user submitted build: “Evasion Fire is the next Demon Hunter nerf! Use it before we lose it!” There seems to be as many ways to play the Demon Hunter as there are random affix combinations in Hell and Inferno. Please take a look and let me know what you think!
Here is the build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/
This a soloing HELL build.
Primary – Evasion Fire + Covering Fire
- Best hatred regen and damage combo – 125% and 4 hatred regen
- Backflip keeps you away from fast mobs while being able to keep up damage
- Firing is instantaneous, there’s no missile travel time
- Covering Fire has a wide conical spread so you can hit multiple targets and moving targets easily
Secondary – Elemental Arrow + Frost Arrow
- This is your ranged AOE and CC
- 170% damage and 60% slow for 10 hatred
- You normally won’t be spamming this, except in the initial pull
Hunting – Vault
- Movement is extremely important for getting away from avoidables, positioning, and escaping walling elites and AOEs
- Also great for when you’re cornered by enemies, it allows you to move past them
- Trail of Cinders adds extra damage, but any rune could be viable
- With the backflip from Evasion Fire, I don’t normally use this more than once
Defense – Smoke Screen Lingering Fog
- With the rune, this was nerfed to 3 seconds but it’s still useful
- Only way to break jails
- 3 seconds is still long enough to drop aggro, reposition, and get back in the fight
Hunting – Preparation with Battle Scars
- Useful for when your health drops too low
- This keeps you alive and gives you a lot of endurance in long elite and boss fights by making kiting very viable. If you can kite the enemy for 45 seconds, you can heal and get back in the fight
Devices – Spike Trap Scatter
- This is where a lot of your damage will come from – 275% AOE
- Great for kiting and pulling enemies
- High hatred cost is offset by the fast hatred regen with Evasion Fire
- You will have hatred because on most elites you won’t have time to spam Frost Arrow
- You drop your traps where your mouse is, so you can throw them very far making them very effective
Archery – DPS increase
Steady Aim – 20% damage is nothing is in 10 yards of you. Evasion Fire backflip is 15 yards, so this will normally be in effect
Sharpshooter – this may seem like a waste, but trust me, this is amazing. The stacking bonus resets 1 second after you crit, so for that 1 second, all of your attacks use your current critical strike chance. Where is key is in stacking your attacks.
The initial pull should be something like this:
- Drop traps
- Ice Arrow Spam
- Evasion Fire when the mobs close in on you
From here, it’s a matter of kiting, using SS and Prep with your Spike Traps and Frost Arrow to slowly drop those hard elites.
Important: Many of the strategies and tips I share here were originally inspired by the people at the Diablo 3 Gold Secrets Forum. If you're serious about making the big bucks in Diablo 3, or just being the best players, you need to signup ASAP.